NASHVILLE, Tenn. --
The Titans returned to practice Wednesday after a day off on Tuesday. Here are some of the storylines from today’s session with the first preseason game against the Packers just three days away.
• Coach Whisenhunt was pleased with a very physical practice following the day off after Monday’s joint practice with the Falcons.
• The team installed some new things without going over them in meetings which provided a good challenge for the day.
• The team waived quarterback Tyler Wilson. Whisenhunt said it was a three-part decision: The team is hoping to get more reps for Zach Mettenberger
.They needed his roster spot. Letting Wilson go now gives him a better chance of signing on with another team. Whisenhunt said he was pleased with what Wilson has done in camp and wants to give him the best shot and landing somewhere else.
• In subsequent moves, the Titans signed DT Lanier Coleman
, placed TE Dorin Dickerson
on IR and signed TE Chase Coffman
• Cornerback Tommie Campbell
had a nice day on Wednesday. First he had a blanket coverage on a deep pass down the right sideline intended for Nate Washington
. He then broke up a red zone pass intended for Washington in the right corner of the end zone.
• The offensive play of the day came on a deep ball from Locker to Kendall Wright
. Locker threw it beautifully, hitting Wright in stride.
• The team worked in the red zone during team drills. Some highlights included a Jake Locker
to Craig Stevens
touchdown as well as a Hakeem Smith
interception of Charlie Whitehurst
• The Titans then moved to “live” goal line plays where the offense looked sharp. Jake Locker found Craig Stevens wide open for a touchdown on play-action. Shonn Greene
and Bishop Sankey
(x2) found the end zone on runs. Charlie Whitehurst hit FB Collin Mooney
in the right flat on play-action.
• Both kickers were perfect today on field goal attempts. Maikon Bonani
was good from 40 and 48 while Travis Coons
made his only attempt from 49 yards.