NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Jason McCourty said his goodbye last week. On Monday, the Titans officially announced their plans to part ways with the popular cornerback after eight seasons.
“I have a ton of respect for Jason and what he has meant for this team and accomplished in our community in his eight years with the Titans,” said Titans General Manager Jon Robinson. “He is a true professional and a leader for his group and for the team. We wish him nothing but the best moving forward. Ultimately, we did what was best for both sides. We talked about having him back this season, but neither side could find the right solution, so we are each going our different ways. I want to thank him on behalf of the organization for his time here in Tennessee.”
McCourty was popular in the locker room, and he also played a big role in the Nashville community.
The three-time captain previously was named the team’s Walter Payton Man of the Year award, and this past offseason he was the team’s Ed Block Courage award winner for 2016.
Via a Twitter post last Thursday, McCourty thanked the Titans organization. The Titans didn’t announce the move until Monday since McCourty wasn’t placed on the waiver wire until after the Easter weekend.
The Titans signed former Patriots cornerback
The Titans are expected to make more additions to the secondary later this month in the NFL Draft.
The Titans have two picks in the first round of the draft (No. 5 and No. 18), and eight picks overall.
“God has carried me this far and blessed me with so many opportunities,” McCourty wrote. “I can't wait to see in which city he places me next to continue my career. And to the fans, thank you so much for all the support throughout the years, it’s been one hell of a ride! #TitanUp one last time.”