|WATCH LIVE immediately following the game as TitansOnline's Amie Wells, Joe Fann and former Titan WR Derrick Mason offer postgame analysis and interviews, including Ken Whisenhunt / selected players' post-game press conferences|
PRO: Nick Schommer, a seventh-round draft choice in 2009, spent his entire rookie season on the practice squad. Entering his second season, the former North Dakota State standout has the opportunity to provide contributions on special teams and depth in the secondary. Schommer has a reputation for being an alert, physical defensive back with good range.
• Schommer is an avid golfer who is working to lower his 11 handicap.
• During the summer of 2008, Schommer interned in the information technology department at Microsoft’s facility in Fargo, N.D.
• As a redshirt freshman, in addition to playing on the football team, Schommer played catcher and outfield for the baseball team.
• The Prescott, Wis., native was selected by the Titans in the seventh round (242nd overall) of the 2009 NFL Draft.
• During a four-year career at North Dakota State, the two-time team captain tallied 186 tackles, one sack, 6.5 tackles for loss, 13 interceptions, 33 passes defensed and one forced fumble in 41 games (41 starts). His interception total tied for third on the school’s all-time career list.
• As a senior (2008), started 10 games and earned first-team All-Missouri Valley Football Conference honors after posting three interceptions, 54 tackles (fifth on team), 4.5 tackles for loss, 12 passes defensed and one sack. Ranked fourth in league in interceptions. Added third-team Associated Press FCS All-America honors.
• As a junior (2007), started all 11 games at free safety and led team with four interceptions (second in conference). Team captain finished third on squad with career-high 64 total tackles. Named first-team All-Great West by media.
• As a sophomore (2006), started nine games and led Bison with three interceptions. Added 36 tackles, two tackles for loss and seven passes defensed. Missed final two games with injury.
• As a freshman (2005), started all 11 games and recorded 32 tackles, three interceptions and six passes defensed.
• Also played catcher and outfield on baseball team as redshirt freshman, hitting .250 with 15 RBI, nine runs scored, six doubles, four stolen bases, one triple and one home run in 30 starts.
• Redshirted in 2004.
• Graduated in May 2009 with degree in management information systems.
• Single, splits time between Nashville and Prescott, Wis.
• At Prescott (Wis.) High School, named first-team All-State by Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and honorable mention All-State by Associated Press and Wisconsin Football Coaches Association. Was two-time first-team All-Conference, All-Northwest Region and team MVP, performing at both running back and defensive back. Totaled 111 carries for 958 yards and 11 touchdowns on offense while recording 124 tackles, two interceptions and three forced fumbles on defense.
• Also competed in baseball, making first-team All-State at catcher.
• Lists golf, video games, hunting and fishing as his hobbies.
• List of favorites: (movie) “Blow”; (TV show) “Nip/Tuck”; (actor) Johnny Depp; (music artists) Garth Brooks, Kenny Chesney, Eminem and Nickelback; (school subjects) computer classes and bowling; (car) Cadillac CTS; (video game) Call of Duty; (magazine) Golf Magazine; (food) seafood; and (sports hero) Brett Favre.
• Born Nicholas James Schommer (pronounced SHOW-mer) on Jan. 3, 1986 in Red Wing, Minn.