NASHVILLE, Tenn. – The Titans were back on the field on Tuesday at Saint Thomas Sports Park for their 11th practice of training camp.
Here’s a look at what stood out:
- Cornerback Adoree’ Jackson had a big day, starting with one-on-one drills. Jackson stepped in front of a receiver Tajae Sharpe and intercepted a pass thrown by quarterback Marcus Mariota. Jackson later made a great read and nearly intercepted Mariota again in team drills. He’s been around the football a lot of late.
- Sharpe made his way past Jackson and extended the football across the goal line for a touchdown earlier in 1-on-1 drills, when receiver Taywan Taylor got open for a score. Sharpe scored later himself in a red zone period.
- I’d give another day to the defense. In addition to Jackson, cornerback Logan Ryan, safety Kevin Byard and cornerback Rico Gafford also recorded interceptions on the day. Byard and Ryan made nice breakups on other plays as well. Gafford has made a number of plays during camp and I like his feistiness.
- Safety Kenny Vacccaro worked alongside Byard with the first team defense. Vaccaro did get a taste of the shifty Dion Lewis at one point in practice. Lewis caught a pass in the flat, and put a move on Vaccaro, who dove in an effort to get to him.
- Tight end Anthony Firkser, an undrafted free agent from Harvard, continues to make plays in practice. Keep an eye out for him in preseason games. I have a feeling he’s going to be busy.
- Linebacker Daren Bates has made some nice plays in camp, and he made another one on Tuesday when breaking up a pass.
- Receiver Devin Ross has made some nice catches in recent days, and he made a few more. Ross walked off slowly after one sideline catch, but he returned.
- Running back David Fluellen turned in a pair of really nice runs on back-to-back plays.
- It wasn’t Mariota’s best day of camp, but he did loft a beautiful pass in the middle of the defense to Taylor.
- Tight end Ethan Wolf made back-to-back catches in one period, and tight end Jonnu Smith made a nice grab as well.
- Running back Akrum Wadley, an undrafted free agent, really showed some burst while exploding into the open field for a big gain. And the end of his run, fellow back Derrick Henry greeted him with a pat on his helmet.
- Linebacker Will Compton couldn’t get to Lewis fast enough on one sprint to the sideline, and tackle Taylor Lewan let him know about it. Not a lot gets by Lewan.
- Tight end Delanie Walker put a nice block on Vaccaro on a sprint by Mariota to the pylon during a red zone period. Mariota didn’t score, but he got close.
- Henry turned in some nice runs, and didn’t hesitate using a stiff-arm.
- Receivers Deontay Burnett and Darius Jennings and Lewis all caught touchdown passes in a red zone period.
- Receiver Corey Davis took the field in uniform for the start of practice, and joined teammates for the team stretch. Davis went back inside as the team began individual drills, however, and did not return.
- Linebacker Brian Orakpo, linebacker Rashaan Evans, linebacker Nate Palmer and tight end Phillip Supernaw were among the players who didn’t practice. Offensive lineman Kevin Pamphile and defensive lineman Bennie Logan returned to practice.
Next up: Thursday, at Packers in preseason opener at 7 pm.
The Titans take the field for Day 11 of training camp practice on Tuesday, Aug. 7, 2018 at Saint Thomas Sports Park. (Photos: Donn Jones, Gary Glenn)