|YEAR||TEAM||G||PUNTS||YDS||LNG||AVG||BLK||RET||RETY||IN 20||NET AVG|
|YEAR||TEAM||G||FUM||LOST||FF||OWN FR||OPP FR||TD|
PRO: Brett Kern is a strong-legged punter that has shown a keen ability to down his kicks inside the opponents’ 20-yard line. The 12th-year pro is the franchise’s all-time leader in gross punting average and net punting average and ranks second in career punts, trailing only Craig Hentrich (861). In 2017, Kern was named to his first career Pro Bowl and was selected second-team Associated Press All-Pro after leading the NFL with a career-high and franchise-best 49.7 gross average and a career-best and franchise-high 44.6 net average. He added a second Pro Bowl berth in 2018. The University of Toledo product joined the Titans franchise during the 2009 season when he was claimed off waivers from the Denver Broncos.
• In 2018, Kern was named to the Pro Bowl for the second consecutive season. His 39 punts inside the 20-yard line on 74 attempts established a franchise record and a career high. He finished the season with a career-long streak of 16 consecutive punts placed inside the 20, including every punt in the final three games of the season.
• In 2017, Kern’s gross punting average (49.7) ranked eighth in NFL history and was the highest of any player since 2012. His net punting average (44.6) ranked second in NFL history. He was named to his first career Pro Bowl and was selected second-team Associated Press All-Pro after leading the NFL with a career-high and franchise-best 49.7 gross average and a career-best and franchise-high 44.6 net average.
• In 2016, Kern placed 41.6 percent of his punts inside the opponent’s 20-yard line (32 of 77), which at the time ranked second in his career (42.2 in 2009).
• In 2015, Kern launched a career-high tying 88 punts to become the second-leading punter (career punts) in franchise history. He placed a then-career-high 34 punts inside the 20 with only one touchback (career low). He also accomplished a first-of-its-kind feat, becoming the first punter in NFL history to record 80 or more punts, a net average of 40 yards, and one or zero touchbacks in a single season.
• In 2014, Kern booted 88 total punts for a gross average of 46.8 yards and a net average of 40.8 yards, which broke his own single-season team record (40.4-yard net average in 2012).
• In 2013, Kern established then-career benchmarks with 32 punts inside the 20-yard line and only two touchbacks.
• Kern arguably had his most productive season in 2012 when he ranked fifth in the AFC with what at the time was a franchise record and career-best 47.6 gross punt average. He also finished ninth in the AFC with a then-franchise record 40.4 net punting average.
• In 2009, Kern’s combined average of 45.5 yards per punt with the Titans and Broncos ranked eighth in the NFL.
• In 2008, Kern ranked fifth in the league with a 46.7-yard punting average and was named to the All-Rookie team by Pro Football Weekly/PFWA and the Sporting News.
• Kern’s father, Cal, is a former professional soccer goalie.
• Kern is an avid golfer that sports a +1 handicap. He picked the game up late in his high school years and caddied for three summers at Inverness Golf Club while in college. The course is located in Toledo, Ohio, and has hosted PGA and NCAA Championships. In 2011, Kern competed in The Vinny, a local golf fundraising tournament hosted by singers Vince Gill and Amy Grant, and finished fourth in the event.
• The Grand Island, N.Y., native was originally signed by the Denver Broncos as a rookie free agent on April 28, 2008.
• Claimed by the Titans off waivers from the Broncos on Oct. 27, 2009.
• Played 47 career games at the University of Toledo, punting 189 times for 7,994 yards (42.3 avg.) with 59 punts placed inside the 20-yard line.
• Ranked second in the nation in gross punting average (46.1 yds., 52 punts for 2,399 yards) and was a finalist for the Ray Guy Award (nation’s best punter) as a senior.
• Earned third team All-America honors as a senior as the only player from the Mid-American Conference to receive Associated Press All-America honors.
• Named Mid-American Conference’s Special Teams Player of the Year as a senior.
• Earned a bachelor’s degree in geography from Toledo and posted a 3.38 grade point average while earning CoSIDA second-team academic all-district recognition as a senior.
• Married to Tiffany Kern and the couple has a son, Bryce Jeremiah, and two daughters, Anelle Naomi and Quinn Eliana.
• Was a two-time first-team all-state selection at Grand Island High School in Grand Island, N.Y., and averaged 39 yards per punt as a senior and 42.5 yards per punt as a junior.
• Also played basketball and was a long jumper and high hurdler on the track team in high school.
• List of favorites: (movie) “Shooter”; (TV show) “Gold Rush”; (music artist) LeCrae, Thousand Foot Krutch, KB, tobyMac; (school subject) geography; (car) 1969 Dodge Charger; (video game) “FIFA,” “Tiger Woods PGA Golf”; (food) spaghetti; and (book) the Bible.
• Follow Kern on Twitter and on Instagram at @brettkern6.
• Born Brett Alan Kern on Feb. 17, 1986, in Grand Island, N.Y.