Titans Player Roster | Tennessee Titans - TitansOnline.com
PRO: The Titans added free agent cornerback Tye Smith to the roster during the 2017 offseason to provide competition and flexibility in the secondary. The 6-foot, 195-pounder made the Titans’ roster out of training camp in 2017 and set career-highs with 11 tackles, an interception and eight special teams tackles. He spent the entire 2018 campaign on injured reserve. Smith entered the league as the Seattle Seahawks fifth round pick (170th overall) in the 2015 NFL Draft. He spent the 2016 season on the Seahawks and Washington Redskins practice squads.
• In 2017, Smith played in a career-high 15 games in his first season with the Titans and posted career-bests with 11 tackles, an interception and eight special teams stops.
• In the spring of 2018, Smith hosted his first “Simple Greatness” youth football clinic at St. Augustine University in his hometown of Raleigh, N.C. Smith says Simple Greatness to him means, “It can’t be measured. It means heart, dedication. It’s all the intangibles that we as a society overlook because we look so much at things we can measure.” Fellow NFL players Todd Gurley II of the Los Angeles Rams, Jamison Crowder of the New York Jets and Keith Marshall of the Washington Redskins were special guest coaches.
• Smith enjoys volunteering his free time in the community and he helped raise money for Habitat for Humanity in 2018 with a bowling event and kids field day activity in his hometown of Raleigh, N.C.
• In May 2019, Smith held the second annual Simple Greatness Football Camp, hosting 300 kids for the free camp in Raleigh.
• He has his own website, www.simplegns.com.
• The Raleigh, N.C. native was selected by the Seattle Seahawks in the fifth round (170th overall) of the 2015 NFL Draft.
• Waived by the Seahawks on Sept. 3, 2016.
• Signed by the Seahawks to the team’s practice squad on Sept. 8, 2016.
• Waived by the Seahawks on Sept. 20, 2016.
• Signed by the Washington Redskins to the team’s practice squad on Sept. 27, 2016.
• Signed by the Titans as a free agent on Jan. 1, 2017.
• Re-signed by the Titans as a free agent on March 17, 2019.
• Appeared in 50 games with 42 starts over his four-year career at Towson. Recorded the fifth-most tackles in program history with 312, five interceptions with one returned for a touchdown, 28 passes defensed, four sacks, five forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.
• As a senior (2014), started all 12 games at cornerback. Posted 84 tackles, 2.5 tackles for loss, one interception, six passes defensed, forced one fumble and recovered one fumble. Was first team All-CAA selection and AP FCS All-American as a senior.
• As a junior (2013), appeared in all 16 games and started 15. Recorded 103 tackles, 4.5 for loss, one sack, two interceptions, ranked eighth in the league in passes defensed with 14, forced two fumbles and recovered one fumble. Named second team All-CAA and was a member of the preseason All-CAA team.
• As a sophomore (2012), started all 11 games for the Tigers. Had a team-leading 75 tackles, one interception, forced two fumbles and recovered one fumble. Earned third team All-CAA honors.
• As a freshman (2011), appeared in 11 games and made four starts as a true freshman. Posted 49 tackles, two interceptions for 45 yards, forced one fumble and recovered one fumble.
• Majored in sports management and minored in business at Towson.
• Attended Wakefield (N.C.) High School where he played cornerback, wide receiver and returned kicks. Posted 88 tackles, four interceptions, eight pass breakups and three tackles for loss as a senior. Also caught 16 passes for 307 yards and three touchdowns on offense and tallied 515 yards as a return specialist in 2010.
• Son of Willie and Keyya Frederick.
• Has eight siblings.
• List of favorites: (movie) the “Bourne Series”; (musician or band) Lil Wayne; (athlete) LeBron James; (book) “A New Earth: Awakening Your Life’s Purpose” by Eckhart Tolle; (hobbies) bowling, fishing and playing XBox.
• Follow Smith on Instagram at @TyeSmith.
• Follow Smith on Twitter at @TyeSmithCB.
• Born Tye Smith on May 3, 1993 in Raleigh, N.C.
Blocked FG Return Sparks Week 13 Victory | Touchdown Tuesday
Tye Smith scores the go-ahead touchdown on a 63-yard return off a Dane Cruikshank blocked field goal , registering his first career touchdown. It was the franchise’s fifth all-time touchdown return on a blocked field goal and the first since Donald Mitchell’s 69-yard touchdown return at Detroit on Oct. 21, 2001.
Busy Titans CB Adoree’ Jackson Ready for Bigger Things
Adoree’ Jackson led the Titans with 1,260 snaps in 2017 - playing on defense, special teams and even lining up on offense occasionally. Heading into this offseason, Jackson set his mind on getting geared up mentally and physically for Year 2. He hopes to take his game to another level.
Draft Analyst Mike Mayock Ponders Titans Scenarios at 25
During a conference call on Friday, Titans Online presented this two-part question to NFL Network draft analyst Mike Mayock: What’s the pool of players going to look like at 25? And is there a player you think would be a good fit for the Titans?
Titans Owner, GM, HC Talk Marcus Mariota, Team Bonding
The Titans are scheduled to report for the start of the offseason program next Monday, and it will mark the first time the 2018 Titans come together as a team. Even before then, Titans controlling owner Amy Adams Strunk, general manager Jon Robinson and new head coach Mike Vrabel have liked some things they’ve seen from afar.
Members of Titans Secondary Bonding with Offseason Work
Members of the team’s secondary have been training together all over the Middle Tennessee area, doing just about everything imaginable. It’s all part of a body strengthening, team bonding offseason the players hope will pay off in 2018 and beyond.
Cornerback Tye Smith Has Stepped Up for Titans
Cornerback Tye Smith waited his turn, and when called on in recent games, he’s delivered for the Titans. Smith played all 69 snaps while starting against the Rams, and he was on the field for 53 of 63 snaps in Sunday’s playoff-clinching win over the Jaguars.
|14||@Raiders||W 42 - 21||7||4||3||0||0||1|
|13||@Colts||W 31 - 17||7||5||2||0||0||0||1|
|12||Jaguars||W 42 - 20|
|10||Chiefs||W 35 - 32|
|8||Buccaneers||W 27 - 23|
|7||Chargers||W 23 - 20||1||0||1||0||0||0|
|6||@Broncos||L 0 - 16||1||1||0||0||0||0|
|5||Bills||L 7 - 14|
|4||@Falcons||W 24 - 10|
|3||@Jaguars||L 7 - 20|
|2||Colts||L 17 - 19|
|1||@Browns||W 43 - 13|