PRO: The Titans selected Austin Johnson in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-4-inch, 314-pound defensive lineman has the bulk and power to secure the middle of the defense as a nose tackle but also the versatility and movement skills to play other positions along the front. In his first three NFL seasons, Johnson played in 42 games and tallied 72 tackles, 2.5 sacks, four tackles for loss and five passes defensed.
• In 2018, Johnson saw action in all 16 games and posted 25 tackles, a sack, five quarterback pressures, a stop for loss and two passes defensed.
• In 2017, Johnson appeared in all 16 games and made three starts. He posted single-season career-highs with 32 tackles, one sack, two tackles for loss and two passes defensed. He also appeared in his first two postseason contests with one start.
• As a rookie in 2016, Johnson appeared in 10 games. His totals included 15 tackles and a half sack.
• Johnson’s 78 tackles as a junior in 2015 ranked second among defensive linemen in FBS and were the most by a Penn State defensive lineman since Jimmy Kennedy (87) in 2002.
• When Johnson was drafted by the Titans, he became a teammate once again of DaQuan Jones, a former Penn State defensive lineman who was drafted by the Titans in 2014. The two remained close, and Jones was among Johnson’s family and friends surrounding him on draft night.
• Johnson’s wife, Danika, is a former LFL MVP and is currently the general manager and head coach of the Nashville Knights football team.
• The son of Austin and Tammy Johnson, he has two older sisters, Brandi and Erika, and one younger sister, Kennedy. Kennedy was a forward on the Michigan State women’s basketball team.
• The Galloway, N.J., native was selected by the Titans in the second round (43rd overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft.
• In three seasons at Penn State, Johnson appeared in 38 games and recorded 28 starts, including starts in all 26 games as a sophomore and junior. He totaled 154 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 24 tackles for loss, eight passes defensed, one forced fumble and four fumble recoveries, including a fumble recovery for a touchdown.
• As a junior (2015), started all 13 games and named second-team All-Big Ten by the media and third-team All-Big Ten by the coaches. Named All-Big Ten by BTN.com and ESPN.com and earned first-team All-Big Ten honors from the Associated Press and Athlon Sports. Ranked second on the team with 15.0 tackles for loss and 6.5 sacks. Ranked second among defensive linemen in FBS and third on the team with 78 tackles, posting the most tackles for a Penn State defensive lineman since Jimmy Kennedy (87) in 2002.
• Against San Diego State (9/26), had a 71-yard fumble return for a touchdown for his first career touchdown. The play marked his fourth career fumble recovery and Penn State’s first fumble recovery for a touchdown since 2012. Added two tackles and shared a tackle for loss to assist Penn State amassing nine tackles for loss in the game.
• As a sophomore (2014), started all 13 games and finished fifth on the team with 49 tackles. Led the team with two fumble recoveries and added six tackles for loss and three pass breakups. Named honorable mention All-Big Ten by the conference media.
• As a redshirt freshman (2013), appeared in all 12 games with two starts. Recorded 27 tackles, three tackles for loss, one sack and a fumble recovery.
• As a freshman (2012), redshirted.
• Graduated in December 2015 with a degree in journalism.
• Married to Danika, and the couple has a daughter, Kailaya.
• Splits time between Nashville and Galloway, N.J.
• Attended St. Augustine Preparatory School (Richland, N.J.), where he was a two-time team captain. Named all-state, All-Cape-Atlantic League and All-South Jersey during his senior season. Ranked among the nation’s top 25 prep defensive tackles by Scout.com.
• Earned second-team All-Cape-Atlantic League and second-team All-South Jersey honors as a junior.
• Also was an all-state performer in basketball in high school and was named Cape-Atlantic Basketball Player of the Year as a senior. Guided the Hermits to the NJSIAA Non-Public Group A State Championship during his junior season.
• Follow Johnson on Twitter at @ajohn15
• Follow Johnson on Instagram at @ajohn_94
• List of favorites: (TV show) “Game of Thrones”; (movie) “Avengers: Age of Ultron”; (musician or band) Future, Drake; (athlete as a child) Michael Jordan; (guilty pleasure) Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups.
• Born Austin Hunter Johnson on May 8, 1994 in Galloway, N.J.
|3||@Jaguars||L 7 - 20|
|2||Colts||L 17 - 19|
|1||@Browns||W 43 - 13||3||2||1||0||0||0|