PRO: Brett Kern is a strong-legged punter that has shown a keen ability to down his kicks inside the opponents’ 20-yard line. He was rewarded during the 2015 offseason with a new multi-year contract with the Titans. The 11th-year pro enters 2018 as the franchise’s all-time leader in gross punting average and net punting average and ranks second in career punts, trailing only Craig Hentrich (861). In 2017, Kern was named to his first career Pro Bowl and was selected second-team Associated Press All-Pro after leading the NFL with a career-high and franchise-best 49.7 gross average and a career-best and franchise-high 44.6 net average. The University of Toledo product joined the Titans franchise during the 2009 season when he was claimed off waivers from the Denver Broncos.
• In 2017, Kern’s gross punting average (49.7) ranked eighth in NFL history and was the highest of any player since 2012. His net punting average (44.6) ranked second in NFL history. He was named to his first career Pro Bowl and was selected second-team Associated Press All-Pro after leading the NFL with a career-high and franchise-best 49.7 gross average and a career-best and franchise-high 44.6 net average.
• In 2016, Kern placed 41.6 percent of his punts inside the opponent’s 20-yard line (32 of 77), which ranked second in his career (42.2 in 2009). His 38.6-yard net punting average in 2016 ranked ninth in team history.
• In 2015, Kern continued his assault on the team’s all-time punting records. He launched a career-high tying 88 punts becoming the second-leading punter in franchise history, placed a career-high 34 punts inside the 20 (third in franchise history) and only one touchback (career low). He also accomplished a first-of-its-kind feat, becoming the first punter in NFL history to record 80 or more punts, a net average of 40 yards, and one or zero touchbacks in a single season. He owns the top five net punting seasons in franchise history and six of the team’s top eight net punting seasons.
• In 2014, Kern booted 88 total punts for a gross average of 46.8 yards and a net average of 40.8 yards, which broke his own single-season team record (40.4-yard net average in 2012).
• In 2013, Kern punted 78 times for 3,386 yards (43.4 avg.). He placed a career-best 32 punts inside the 20-yard line with a career-low two kicks as touchbacks.
• Kern arguably had his most productive season in 2012 when he ranked fifth in the AFC with a franchise record and career-best 47.6 gross punt average. He also finished ninth in the AFC with a then-franchise record and career-high 40.4 net punting average.
• In 2009, Kern’s combined average of 45.5 yards per punt with the Titans and Broncos ranked eighth in the NFL. He also downed a combined 27 punts inside the opponents’ 20-yard line.
• In 2008, Kern ranked fifth in the league with a 46.7-yard punting average and was named to the All-Rookie team by Pro Football Weekly/PFWA and the Sporting News.
• Kern’s father, Cal, is a former professional soccer goalie.
• Kern is an avid golfer that sports a +1 handicap. He picked the game up late in his high school years and caddied for three summers at Inverness Golf Club while in college. The course is located in Toledo, Ohio, and has hosted PGA and NCAA Championships. In 2011, Kern competed in The Vinny, a local golf fundraising tournament hosted by singers Vince Gill and Amy Grant, and finished fourth in the event.
• The Grand Island, N.Y., native was originally signed by the Denver Broncos as a rookie free agent on April 28, 2008.
• Claimed by the Titans off waivers from the Broncos on Oct. 27, 2009.
• Played 47 career games at the University of Toledo, punting 189 times for 7,994 yards (42.3 avg.) with 59 punts placed inside the 20-yard line.
• Ranked second in the nation in gross punting average (46.1 yds., 52 punts for 2,399 yards) and was a finalist for the Ray Guy Award (nation’s best punter) as a senior.
• Earned third team All-America honors as a senior as the only player from the Mid-American Conference to receive Associated Press All-America honors.
• Named Mid-American Conference’s Special Teams Player of the Year as a senior.
• Earned a bachelor’s degree in geography from Toledo and posted a 3.38 grade point average while earning CoSIDA second-team academic all-district recognition as a senior.
• Married to Tiffany Kern and the couple has a son, Bryce Jeremiah, and two daughters, Anelle Naomi and Quinn Eliana.
• Was a two-time first-team all-state selection at Grand Island High School in Grand Island, N.Y., and averaged 39 yards per punt as a senior and 42.5 yards per punt as a junior.
• Also played basketball and was a long jumper and high hurdler on the track team in high school.
• List of favorites: (movie) “Shooter”; (TV show) “Gold Rush”; (music artist) LeCrae, Thousand Foot Krutch, KB, tobyMac; (school subject) geography; (car) 1969 Dodge Charger; (video game) “FIFA,” “Tiger Woods PGA Golf”; (food) spaghetti; and (book) the Bible.
• Follow Kern on Twitter and on Instagram: @brettkern6.
• Born Brett Alan Kern on Feb. 17, 1986, in Grand Island, N.Y.