PRO: The Titans selected Heisman Trophy winner Derrick Henry in the second round of the 2016 NFL Draft out of the University of Alabama. The 6-foot-3-inch, 247-pounder is a powerful, downhill runner who displays tremendous speed and balance. He averaged a team-best 4.3 yards per carry and scored 10 rushing touchdowns during his first two NFL seasons. At Alabama, the Heisman Trophy winner set numerous school and SEC records while leading his team to a National Championship in 2015.
• In 2017, Henry led the Titans with 744 rushing yards on 176 carries, and he rushed for five touchdowns for the second consecutive season.
• In the team’s Wild Card playoff victory at Kansas City on Jan. 6, 2018, Henry recorded a franchise postseason record of 191 scrimmage yards (156 rushing, 35 receiving), breaking a 57-year-old postseason record set on Jan. 1, 1961, when Billy Cannon had 178 scrimmage yards against the Los Angeles Chargers. Henry’s 156 rushing yards ranked second in franchise postseason history (162 by Eddie George on Jan. 16, 2000).
• In 2016, Henry rushed for 490 yards and five touchdowns to become the third rookie for the franchise in the “Titans era” to score at least five touchdowns in a season, joining Vince Young (seven rushing touchdowns in 2006) and Chris Johnson (nine rushing and one receiving in 2008).
• Despite playing just three seasons and not seeing extensive action in his first campaign at Alabama, Henry finished his career as the school’s all-time rushing leader with 3,591 yards.
• As a senior in 2015, Henry claimed the Heisman Trophy and led his team to the College Football Playoff National Championship. He also won the Doak Walker and Maxwell Award and was selected as the Walter Camp Player of the Year after rushing for an Alabama and Southeastern Conference record 2,219 yards.
• In high school, Henry broke the 51-year-old national high school rushing record with 12,124 yards after compiling 4,261 rushing yards as a senior.
• Henry sealed an Iron Bowl victory with an epic, career-best 271 rushing yards against the Tigers. He put the Crimson Tide on his back by carrying the ball a school-record 46 times. His 271 rushing yards were 11 more yards than Auburn had in total offense (260). He ended the game with 14 consecutive rushes to run out the clock.
• His late grandmother, Gladys Henry, helped raise him and played a key inspirational role in his development. In 2018, he fulfilled a promise to her and graduated from Alabama with his bachelor’s degree. He has a portrait tattoo of her on his chest.
• Gladys Henry nicknamed him “Shocka” as a baby because he “shocked the whole family” when he was born.
• Henry has been growing out his hair since he was in elementary school.
• The Yulee, Fla., native was selected by the Titans in the second round (45th overall) the 2016 NFL Draft.
• In three seasons at Alabama (2013-15), Henry played in 39 games and totaled 602 carries for a school-record 3,591 yards and 42 rushing touchdowns and added 285 yards on 17 career receptions with three receiving scores. Henry won numerous awards including the Heisman Trophy, the Doak Walker Award, Walter Camp Award, and Maxwell Award. During Alabama’s victory over Clemson in the 2016 College Football Playoff National Championship, he broke Shaun Alexander’s record for most career rushing yards in Alabama history.
• As a junior (2015), claimed the Crimson Tide’s second Heisman Trophy and led his team to the College Football Playoff National Championship. Also won the Doak Walker and Maxwell Award and was selected as the Walter Camp Player of the Year. Named a unanimous first team All-American and first team All-SEC by the league’s coaches and the Associated Press. Selected as the SEC Offensive Player of the Year by both outlets. Rushed for a school- and Southeastern Conference record 2,219 yards, which led the nation and was the fifth most in a single-season by an FBS player in college football history. Averaged 147.9 yards per game, which was second in the country. His 28 rushing touchdowns were a national best and an SEC record, snapping Tim Tebow and Tre Mason’s old mark of 23. Led the SEC in rushing in conference games with a 179.2 yards per game average, including 13 touchdowns. Had multiple rushing touchdowns in nine games and set the Alabama single-season record with 10 100-yard rushing games and four 200-yard games, which broke Bobby Humphrey’s school record (3) set in 1986. Only the third running back in SEC history (Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson) to have four 200-yard games in a single season. Set the school record with 11 consecutive games with a rushing touchdown and finished his career 20 straight, which was the most in the SEC history. Caught 11 passes for 91 yards. Accounted for a team-high 109 first down rushes on a school-record 395 carries. Was a five-time SEC Offensive Player of the Week (Wisconsin, Georgia, Texas A&M, Mississippi State and Auburn).
• At Auburn (11/28), produced a Heisman-worthy performance as he rushed his way past the Tigers on the Plains to the tune of a career-high 271 yards on the ground on a school-record 46 carries. Scored a touchdown on his 46th and final carry on a 25-yard jaunt that capped 14 straight rushes to end the game. Earned Walter Camp National Player of the Week honors and SEC Player of the Week accolades.
• Against Clemson (1/11), rushed for 158 yards and three touchdowns as the Crimson Tide claimed a 45-40 victory to win the national championship. Carried 36 times, including a 50-yard touchdown scamper in the first quarter and then sealed the win with a one-yard plunge with 1:07 remaining in the game.
• As a sophomore (2014), finished the year with 990 rushing yards on 172 carries with 11 rushing touchdowns. Had five receptions for 133 yards and two receiving touchdowns. Played in all 14 games with two starts and had 21 explosive rushes of 12 yards or more while converting 47 first downs, including four on third down. Three of his five receptions were explosive, taking screen passes 29, 41 and 52 yards.
• As a freshman (2013), as a true freshman saw action in 12 games and totaled 382 rushing yards on 35 carries for a 10.9 yards per carry average. Rushed 10 times (28.6 percent) for 12 yards or more while converting 17 first downs. Took his one pass reception to the end zone for a 61-yard catch and run in the Sugar Bowl. Contributed three tackles on special teams. Registered two 100-yard game (111 vs. Arkansas and 100 vs. Oklahoma).
• Graduated from Alabama in May 2018 with a degree in communications.
• Single, splits time between Nashville and Yulee, Fla.
• Attended Yulee (Fla.) High School, where he was five-star prospect that was listed as the nation’s No. 1 athlete and No. 4 running back prospect.
• Was a member of the 2012 All-USA Football Team, chosen by USA Today and also was named the 2012 Maxwell Football Club National High School Player of the Year.
• Broke Ken Hall’s 51-year-old national high school rushing record with 12,124 yards after rushing for 4,261 yards as a senior in 2012. Was a Parade Magazine All-American and the publication’s National Player of the Year.
• Played for the East squad in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, rushing for 53 yards with a touchdown and a two-point conversion.
• Named MaxPreps National Player of the Year and first-team All-American after finishing his high school career with 153 rushing touchdowns, which ranks fifth all time, including 55 scores in 2012.
• Set the Florida high school record with a 510-yard performance against Jacksonville Jackson and averaged 9.2 yards per carry and 327.8 yards per game as a senior.
• Named 2012 first-team All-State selection by the Associated Press and was the Player of the Year on the All-First Coast team.
• Named the 2012 Columbus (Ohio) Touchdown Club National High School Player of the Year as a senior.
• As a junior (2011), rushed for 2,610 yards and 34 scores to earn first-team All-Coast honors from the Florida Times-Union.
• As a sophomore (2010) was named first-team All-Coast running back after rushing for 2,788 yards and 38 touchdowns while averaging 8.9 yards per attempt.
• As a freshman (2009), rushed for 2,465 yards and 26 scores.
• Also played basketball and ran track (100, 400, 4x100, 4x400) in high school.
• As a standout track & field athlete, he competed as a sprinter and posted a personal-best time of 11.11 seconds in the 100-meter dash at the 2011 FHSAA 2A District 3 Championships, where he placed seventh.
• List of favorites: (movie) “Remember the Titans”; (musician) Kevin Gates; (place to get away) anywhere with his family; (food) wings; (athletes as a child) LaDainian Tomlinson and Eddie George; (sports teams as a child) New York Yankees, Los Angeles Lakers.
• Follow Henry on Twitter at @kinghenry_2.
• Follow Henry on Instagram at @last_king_2.
• Follow Henry on Snapchat at @Dhenryyyyy2.
• Born Derrick Lamar Henry, Jr. on Jan. 4, 1994 in Yulee, Fla.
Titans RB Derrick Henry's Best Plays | 2018 Season
Watch Titans running back Derrick Henry's best plays from the 2018 season, in which he rushed for a career-high 1,059 yards and 12 touchdowns.
Top Runs of Week 17
With the 2018 NFL regular season in the books, here is a look at the best runs from Week 17 around the league.
Top Plays of the 2018 Regular Season
The 2018 NFL season was a record-breaking year for the league. Here is a look at the best plays from the regular season.
Titans Convert on Third Down with Pass to Derrick Henry
Tennessee Titans convert on third down for first time with pass to running back Derrick Henry.
Derrick Henry Takes on Darius Leonard for 34-yard Gain
Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry takes on Indianapolis Colts linebacker Darius Leonard in open space for a 34-yard gain.
Derrick Henry Dishes out a Flurry of Moves on 19-yard Run
Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry dishes out a flurry of moves on his 19-yard run.
Derrick Henry Rushes for a 33-yard Gain vs. Indianapolis Colts
Derrick Henry rushes for a 33-yard gain vs. the Indianapolis Colts.
Derrick Henry Among Very Important Players in Week 17
Kyle Brandt discusses why Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry is a very important player heading into Week 17 of NFL action.
Derrick Henry Scores on 1-yard Touchdown Run
Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry stays on his feet long enough to stumble into the end zone for a 1-yard touchdown against the Washington Redskins.
Derrick Henry Gallops to the 2-yard Line on Huge Carry
Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry cuts through the defense and races down to the 2-yard line.
Tiffany Blackmon Details Advice that Eddie George Gave Derrick Henry Before Hot Streak
NFL Network's Tiffany Blackmon details advice that Titans great Eddie George gave running back Derrick Henry before hot streak.
FedEx Air and Ground NFL Players of the Week | Week 15
Titans running back Derrick Henry has been voted the FedEx Ground NFL Player of the Week for Week 15.
Best of Podium Sound Week 15
Best sound bites from around the NFL in week 15
NFL-N-Motion: How Derrick Henry Found his Stride the Last Two Weeks
NFL Network's LaDainian Tomlinson breaks down how Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry has found his stride in two big performances the last couple weeks.
Derrick Henry's Top Runs from 170-yard Game | Week 15
Watch the top runs from Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry's 170-yard game in his Week 15 matchup against the New York Giants.
Derrick Henry Bounces Outside for Second Rushing TD
Titans running back Derrick Henry bounces to the outside for his second rushing touchdown.
Derrick Henry Rushes for 22-yard Gain
Derrick Henry rushes for a 22-yard gain vs. New York Giants, 12/16/2018
Derrick Henry Rushes for 1-yard Touchdown
Derrick Henry rushes for a 1-yard touchdown vs. New York Giants, 12/16/2018
Jurrell Casey on Derrick Henry's Big Game: 'He Told me he Was Going to do That'
Tennessee Titans DT Jurrell Casey said that RB Derrick Henry told him he was going to have a great game before his 99-yd TD in Week 14 against the Jacksonville Jaguars.
Fresh Off the Wire: Week 15 POW Awards
The heroes of ATN discuss NFL Week 15's Players of the Week!
Derrick Henry Runs Wild vs. Jags
Tennessee Titans running back Derrick Henry runs wild vs. Jaguars.
Snickers Most Satisfying Plays of Week 14
Check out the most satisfying plays from Week 14, including the Miami Dolphins’ miraculous game-winning TD against the New England Patriots.
Fastest 5 Ball Carriers Week 14
The top 5 fastest ball carriers in week 14.
Every Team's Best Play From Week 14
Every team's best play from Week 14 of the 2018 NFL season!
NFL Numbers TNF Edition
Fascinating numbers for TNF games
Special Cleats, Winning Bid: The Story Behind Titans RB Derrick Henry's “Magic Cleats” – And His Generous Donation To Special Olympics Tennessee
Titans RB Derrick Henry a Big Fan of New OC Arthur Smith and His “Physical Mindset”
RB Chris Johnson Wanted the Titans to Feed RB Derrick Henry, and He's Glad They Did
Titans RB Derrick Henry Named AFC Offensive Player of the Month for December
Tough Love: Eddie George Lit a Fire Under Titans RB Derrick Henry, and He's Been a Different Player Since
Derrick Henry a Nominee for FedEx Ground NFL Player of the Week
Titans RB Derrick Henry Keeps Racking Up Yards, and Breaking Records
Titans RB Derrick Henry Named AFC Offensive Player of the Week
Derrick Henry Nominee for FedEx Ground NFL Player of the Week
After a Record-Breaking Night, Breaking Down Every Carry by Titans RB Derrick Henry
A Look Back at Derrick Henry's Record-Breaking Rushing Night
After Bye, Titans RB Derrick Henry Hopes His Rushing Woes a Thing of the Past
Titans RB Derrick Henry Not Happy With His "Trash Play"
Titans RB Derrick Henry Ready to Run -- and Throw? -- Out of the Wildcat
Six Things to Watch for Titans in Sunday's game vs. Texans
Titans RB Derrick Henry, Upset With Performance in Opener, Ready to Bounce Back vs. Texans
Three Quick Hits from Titans on Thursday: Derrick Henry Says it's "Go Time"
Titans RB Derrick Henry Praying for Shooting Victims Back Home in Jacksonville
Titans RB Derrick Henry Surprises Kids With Shopping Event: “It’s a Blessing to be a Blessing to Kids"
Titans RB Derrick Henry: “I Want To Be a Premier Back In This League.”
Training Camp Preview: Breaking Down the Running Back Position for Titans
Observations from Tuesday’s Titans OTA
Live Updates from Titans OTA at Saint Thomas Sports Park
Observations from Wednesday’s Titans OTA
Titans Mailbag: Jim Wyatt Answers Questions from Fans
Titans RB Derrick Henry's 2018 Season
Titans Online looks back at RB Derrick Henry's 2018 season, in which he rushed for a career-high 1,059 yards and 12 touchdowns. (AP Photos)
Derrick Henry's Franchise-Best Rushing Game
Titans running back Derrick Henry carries 17 times for a franchise-record 238 yards and four touchdowns in Tennessee's 30-9 victory over the Jacksonville Jaguars on Thursday Night Football. (AP Photos)
Derrick Henry Surprises Special Olympics Athletes
Derrick Henry surprised Special Olympics athletes with pizza and an opportunity to help design his cleats for the team's My Cause My Cleats game. (Photos: Kristen Sheft)
Titans RB Derrick Henry's 2018 Offseason
TitansOnline.com looks back at RB Derrick Henry's 2018 offseason. (Photos: Donn Jones, AP, Gary Glenn)
RB Derrick Henry's 2016 Season
TitansOnline.com looks back at RB Derrick Henry's rookie season with Titans in 2016. (AP Photos)
Round 2 (#45 overall): Alabama RB Derrick Henry
The Titans select Alabama RB Derrick Henry in the second round (45th overall) of the 2016 NFL Draft. (AP Photos)
|17||Colts||L 17 - 33||16||93||5.8||33||0||1||13||13||13||0|
|16||Redskins||W 25 - 16||21||84||4||18||1||1||8||8||8||0|
|15||@Giants||W 17 - 0||33||170||5.2||22||2||1||0||0||0||0|
|14||Jaguars||W 30 - 9||17||238||14||99||4|
|13||Jets||W 26 - 22||10||40||4||12||1||2||5||2.5||4||0|
|12||@Texans||L 17 - 34||8||30||3.8||8||0||2||19||9.5||11||0||1||1|
|11||@Colts||L 10 - 38||9||46||5.1||16||0|
|10||Patriots||W 34 - 10||11||58||5.3||14||2|
|9||@Cowboys||W 28 - 14||6||27||4.5||13||1||2||5||2.5||3||0|
|7||@Chargers||L 19 - 20||12||33||2.8||7||1||2||32||16||21||0|
|6||Ravens||L 0 - 21||7||21||3||6||0||1||5||5||5||0|
|5||@Bills||L 12 - 13||11||56||5.1||14||0||0||0||0|
|4||Eagles||W 26 - 23||8||24||3||14||0||2||7||3.5||13||0|
|3||@Jaguars||W 9 - 6||18||57||3.2||14||0||0||0||0|
|2||Texans||W 20 - 17||18||56||3.1||9||0|
|1||@Dolphins||L 20 - 27||10||26||2.6||5||0||1||5||5||5||0|
RB FB Career