PRO: The Titans selected Jonnu Smith in the third round (100th overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft. The 6-foot-3-inch, 248-pound tight end participated in every game as a rookie and ranked fifth among rookie tight ends in receptions (18). Smith was a prolific passer catcher in his four seasons at Florida International. Smith concluded his career as FIU’s all-time leader for tight ends in receptions and receiving yards and his 18 career receiving touchdowns ranked third in the school’s record books. Smith possesses the ability to flash after the catch and has the speed to attack all three levels of the field. He is also known for his strength and willingness to block in the run game.
• During the 2017 regular season, Smith was one of three rookie tight ends to appear in all 16 games (Gerald Everett and David Njoku) and one of two rookie tight ends with at least 13 starts (O.J.
Howard). His 18 receptions, which resulted in 157 yards and two touchdowns, ranked fifth among all rookie tight ends.
• Smith finished his career as Florida International’s all-time leader for tight ends in receptions and receiving yards. Smith ended his career ranking fourth on the school’s career receptions list and fifth on the program’s receiving yardage list. His 18 career receiving touchdowns rank third in school annals.
• As a sophomore (2014), led all college tight ends with 61 receptions, 710 receiving yards and eight touchdown catches.
• Smith credits his mother, Karen, for his successes. Jonnu’s father passed away as a result of a tow truck accident when he was four years old and his mother raised all six children by herself. “My mother is my rock. It was tough, but we always got what we needed—not necessarily what we wanted all the time—but what we needed. She was so strong all the time.”
• Smith endured a lot of challenges as a youngster in Philadelphia and after his brother was arrested and one of his friends was killed on the streets, a decison needed to be made. His family didn’t have the financial means to just uproot, so for his own safety Jonnu moved in with his mother’s sister and brother-in-law, Darla and Mike Kirkland, in Ocala, Fla. He started playing high school football and even though he was far from a touted recruit, he earned a scholarship to Florida International where his play took off.
• Smith’s best friend Willie “Quasim” Jefferson tragically died from a gun shot in October 2016. Jonnu gave his son the middle name Quasim in honor of him.
• The Philadelphia, Pa., native was selected by the Titans in the third round (100th overall) of the 2017 NFL Draft.
• In four seasons at Florida International (2013-16), Smith appeared in 43 career games and tallied 178 receptions for 2,001 yards with 18 touchdowns.
• As a senior (2016), started in 11 games for the Panthers and was a second team, All-Conference USA honoree. Caught 42 passes for 506 yards and four touchdowns. Became the fifth player in Florida International history to register over 2,000 yards receiving during a career (2,001 yards). Finished his career registering at least one reception in every game he played (43-straight – second-most in school history).
• As a junior (2015), started eight games for the Panthers and recorded 36 catches for 397 yards and four touchdowns. Finished fourth on the team in receptions, third in receiving yards and second in receiving touchdowns. Missed the final four games of the season due to injury.
• As a sophomore (2014), appeared and started in all 12 games for the Panthers and earned first team All-Conference USA honors. Led Florida International with 710 yards on 61 catches and eight touchdowns. Also led all tight ends nationally in touchdowns, receiving yards and receptions. Set the school record for tight ends in receiving yards, touchdowns and receptions and his eight receiving touchdowns broke the previous school season-best of seven set by T.Y. Hilton (2008, 2011) and Cory McKinney (2002). The 710 receiving yards ranked seventh all-time at FIU for a season and his 61 catches were tied for fourth in a single year.
• As a freshman (2013), started all 12 games as a true freshman and earned All-Conference USA honorable mention honors as well as a spot on the league’s All-Freshmen team. Led all Florida International players with 39 receptions for 388 yards and was the only FIU receiver to have a catch in all 12 games. Either led or tied for the team-lead in receptions or receiving yards in eight of 12 games. Was the first true freshman to lead the team in receptions and receiving yards since T.Y. Hilton in 2008.
• Majored in liberal studies at Florida International.
• Has a son, Jaiyen.
• Attended West Port (Ocala, Fla.) High School and was named to the 2012 Ocala Star Banner All-County first team and the 2012 Florida Athletic Coaches Association All-District 7 Football team.
• As a senior, posted a team leading 34 catches for 517 yards and two touchdowns.
• As a junior, notched nine receptions for 101 yards and two touchdowns.
• Also competed in weightlifting, finishing second in the county in the 219-pound weight class.
• List of favorites: (movie) all the “Halloween” Michael Myers’ films; (TV show) “Stranger Things”; (musician or band) Meek Mill; (food) chicken and shrimp alfredo; (guilty pleasure) Swedish fish; (sports team as a child) Philadelphia Eagles and (athlete as a child) LeBron James.
• Follow Smith on Twitter at @EasyMoney_87.
• Follow Smith on Instagram at @jonnusmith87.
• Born Jonnu Andre Smith on Aug. 22, 1995 in Philadelphia, Pa.
Jonnu Smith Shreds Through Defenders on 29-yard Catch-and-Run
Titans tight end Jonnu Smith shreds through arm tackles on this 29-yard gain.
Marcus Mariota Lofts Goal-Line TD to Jonnu Smith
Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota lofts a 4-yard touchdown to tight end Jonnu Smith to get ahead early.
Can't-Miss Play: Mariota Fakes Hand-Off for Shovel-Pass TD
Titans quarterback Marcus Mariota fakes a hand off for a crazy shovel-pass touchdown to tight end Jonnu Smith.
Jonnu Smith: Confidence Comes from Experience
Tennessee Titans tight end Jonnu Smith talks to reporters at Saint Thomas Sports Park on Sunday.
Jonnu Smith on Staying Positive and Moving on.
Tennessee Titans tight end Jonnu Smith talks to reporters at Saint Thomas Sports Park the day after their game against Pittsburgh.
Jonnu Smith on Sticking Together as a Team
Tennessee Titans tight end Jonnu Smith addresses reporters following Sundays game against the Miami Dolphins at Hard Rock Stadium.
Questions on the Fly with Jonnu Smith
Amie Wells visits with Tennessee Titans tight end Jonnu Smith before getting on the plane to Miami.
Marcus Mariota Connects with Jonnu Smith for 24-yard TD
Titans QB Marcus Mariota connects with rookie TE Jonnu Smith for 24-yard touchdown.
Jonnu Smith on Building Momentum
Tennessee Titans tight end Jonnu Smith talks to reporters following practice Wednesday at Saint Thomas Sports Park.
In His Words: Jonnu Smith's 1st Career TD
Tennessee Titans rookie tight end Jonnu Smith takes us through his first NFL career touchdown at EverBank Field.
Titans TE Jonnu Smith Sprints Free for 32-yard TD
Titans tight end Jonnu Smith sprints free for 32-yard touchdown vs. the Jacksonville Jaguars in Week 2 of the 2017 NFL season.
Behind the Flame: TE Jonnu Smith
Get to know Tennessee Titans rookie tight end Jonnu Smith in this edition of "Behind the Flame."
Titans Training Camp Report: Day 11
Fueled by Gatorade, Amie Wells and senior writer Jim Wyatt talk about who fans can expect to see in the Titans first preseason game. Meanwhile "Voice of the Titans" Mike Keith visits with rookie tight end Jonnu Smith.
Jonnu Smith on First Day in Pads Jitters
Tennessee Titans tight end Jonnu Smith addresses reporters following Monday's training camp practice at Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Titans in 2017: Tight Ends
Amie Wells and senior writer Jim Wyatt discuss the tight end position for the Tennessee Titans in 2017.
Jonnu Smith on Learning From Veteran Players
Tennessee Titans tight end Jonnu Smith addresses reporters following Wednesday's OTA practice at Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Jonnu Smith on Learning From Veteran Tight Ends
Tennessee Titans third-round draft pick Jonnu Smith speaks to reporters following the team's first day of rookie mini-camp.
2017 NFL Draft: 1-on-1 with Jonnu Smith
Before he became a Tennessee Titan, tight end Jonnu Smith talked with Amie Wells during his pre-draft visit to Saint Thomas Sports Park.
Titans select Jonnu Smith No. 100 in the 2017 NFL Draft
Titans select Florida International University tight end Jonnu Smith in Round 3 with the No. 100 pick overall in the 2017 NFL Draft.
Quick Hits from the Titans on Thursday: Jonnu Smith's Emergence, Malcolm Butler's Outlook, and the Injury Report
Following Loss of Delanie Walker, Titans TE Jonnu Smith Ready for Bigger Role
Training Camp Preview: Breaking Down the Tight End Position for Titans
Titans TE Jonnu Smith Readies for Change and Challenge
Titans Mailbag: Jim Wyatt Answers Questions from Fans
Observations from Tuesday’s Titans OTA
Observations from Wednesday’s Titans OTA
LaFleur's Role Revitalizing Rams Should Encourage Titans
Titans Caravan 2018 Schedule Announced
Titans OC Matt LaFleur Talks Mariota, Henry and What’s Ahead
ESPN’s Mel Kiper’s Three-Round Draft for Titans
Titans Owner, GM, HC Talk Marcus Mariota, Team Bonding
Members of Titans Secondary Bonding with Offseason Work
Five Titans Teammates Join QB Marcus Mariota in L.A.
ESPN’s McShay Sticking with South Dakota State TE for Titans
Titans Add Assistant Coaches to Mike Vrabel’s Staff
Titans GM Jon Robinson Eyes Senior Bowl Talent
What's Next? Examining Titans 2017 Rookie Class
Six Hot Topics From Titans Coach Mike Mularkey's Presser
Titans RT Jack Conklin Suffers Torn ACL, Needs Surgery
Glennon's Take: Five Key Questions for Titans Going Forward
Three Quick Hits from Thursday's Practice
Three Quick Hits from Wednesday's Practice
Coach Mularkey's Wednesday Practice Transcript
Three Quick Hits from Tuesday's Practice
|10||Patriots||W 34 - 10||3||45||15||29||1||1||0|
|9||@Cowboys||W 28 - 14||2||33||16.5||26||1|
|7||@Chargers||L 19 - 20||2||11||5.5||8||0|
|6||Ravens||L 0 - 21||1||12||12||12||0|
|5||@Bills||L 12 - 13||0||0||0|
|4||Eagles||W 26 - 23||0||0||0|
|3||@Jaguars||W 9 - 6||1||9||9||9||0|
|2||Texans||W 20 - 17|
|1||@Dolphins||L 20 - 27||1||12||12||12||0|
WR TE Career